Lagoon and Rowing Club, Wellington, New Zealand

Lagoon and Rowing Club, Wellington, New Zealand

Description: Wellington Rowing Club is one of the premier rowing clubs in New Zealand. The building (on the left) was built in 1894 as a base for the Wellington Naval Artillery Volunteers, a response prompted by a Defence report in 1884 that recommended strengthening Wellington's harbour defences to help prevent a possible Russian invasion.
In 1990, the then dilapidated clubhouse underwent a refurbishment and the Wellington Rowing and Star Boating Club's were relocated to their present site as part of a wider Lambton Harbour redevelopment.
Wellington's Wharewaka o Poneke (in the middle of the photo) was officially opened on Waitangi Day 2011. The Wharewaka - meaning boat house - was specifically designed to house the city's waka, Te Raukura, and sits on the waterfront near Taranaki Street Wharf and Te Papa.

[display photography on the map]

Keywords: New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington Rowing Club, Wharewaka o Poneke, lagoon, town, people, city, capital, architecture, design, water, waterfront

Exif: Exposure: 1/160, Aperture: 13.0, ISO: 100

Views: 10009 ×